Participation in Farmland Preservation is voluntary and is meant to promote good soil and water conservation practices. The FPP tax credits can only be taken by the owner of a parcel of land and not by a farmer who may be renting and operating the land. All land in FPP areas, including cropland, forested land, wetlands and other open space is eligible for the tax credit.

To proceed with participation in the Farmland Preservation Program:

  1. Verify your land is in an eligible FPP area, by reviewing the following maps:
  2. Submit or develop a Nutrient Management Plan following the NM 590 Standard along with current manure/fertilizer spreading restriction maps.  This can be completed by contacting a local agronomist, or call the office to ask about DATCP training events to learn how to write your own plan with SnapPlus.  
  3. Notify Stefan Stults with the Waupaca County LWCD that you would like to participate in the Farmland Preservation Program.  At that time you will be added to a list for Nutrient Management Plan, Livestock Facility and Field Inspections to verify that your land and operation meet state standards.
  4. When inspections have been completed you will be sent an inspection report as well as an invoice for the inspection fees set by the Waupaca County Land and Water Committee as such: 
  5. Review and sign the Inspection Report - to view a "model" report click here.
    • NOTE: All land operated by the landowner or tenant must meet state standards.
  6. Pay the Inspection Fee per the invoice.  Fee Schedule
  7. Return the signed Inspection Report and Payment to:
    • Waupaca County LWCD 811 Harding St. Waupaca, WI 54981
  8. When the Waupaca County LWCD has received the signed Inspection Report and Payment in full for inspections the Certificate of Compliance will be issued and mailed to the Participant.
  9. Meet the additional requirements of:
    • Property taxes must be paid current.
    • Claimants must have $6000 (or $18,000 over a 3 year period) gross farm revenue generated on their property. For rented land this comes from the operator’s commodity receipts not rental income. Gross farm revenue may include timber sales.
  10. File the Certificate of Compliance with your state tax return.
    • DATCP link to information for Tax Prepares
    • The certificate is good for four years of tax returns from the first year of issuance.  After four years the inspection process will be repeated to assure the land holdings remain in compliance with state standards.
    • Please retain a copy of your certificate for future tax years!!!
NOTE:  The credit is considered taxable income!

Please call the Waupaca County LWCD with questions.  Stefan @ 715-258-6247

Sign up for alerts

Learn More