steps1Steps to Building in the Unincorporated Areas of Waupaca County

First Structure on the Lot

  • Consult the Allowable Uses Table to make sure what you are proposing is allowed in your Zoning District.
  • Contact the Planning & Zoning Office to make sure that you have a development right available to build. Even if the first structure on the lot is a shed or garage, there must first be an available development right.
  • A Property Address/Fire Number must be obtained for 9-1-1 purposes. Click here to learn how.
  • Only one dwelling unit is allowed per tax parcel. Additional units would require a land division if a development right is available (see Land Division section for more information).
  • Have a Soil Test done to determine what type of system the soils will allow and how big it will need to be.
  • Obtain a Land Use permit from the Planning & Zoning Office and a Building permit if required by the Township.

Accessory Structures or Additions

  • Accessory Structures may not be used for human habitation.
  • Obtain a Land Use permit from the Planning & Zoning Office and a Building permit if required by the Township.

 Give Yourself Plenty of Time 

 Start working on your permits at least 2 months prior to building.

There are several reasons your project might be delayed:

  • Septic systems other than a residential conventional system require approval from the Dept. of Safety & Professional Services prior to permit issuance, and this process can take up to 6 weeks.
  • The proposed use might be a conditional use, which requires Town approval and then a public hearing before the Zoning Committee.
  • If you cannot meet setbacks, you may have to relocate your proposed project.
  • If you are going to be close to property lines, you may need to have the lot line surveyed before a permit will be issued.
  • Comprehensive Plan Map Amendments and Zone Changes are a lengthy process that can take 3-4 months to complete.


   GIS Map to determine your Zoning District/aerial photo/wetlands/floodplain
   Floodplain Viewer  search Waupaca County properties Floodplain only
   Allowable Uses Table
  Property Search You can look up tax information and Zoning Information.

   Well Information - regulated by the DNR
 ADOBE - If your applications aren't printing right, you might  need to update your adobe



Planning & Zoning Committee

Board of Adjustment


Sign up for alerts

Learn More